Search This Blog

Friday 4 January 2019

Junk-less Food!!


I have been thinking about writing this post for a while now but, well, life has gotten in the way. I wanted to address any misconceptions about paleo kids missing out. Well, I am here to assure you that they are not!! I am going to share with you some yummy, kid friendly, junk (or, junk-less) food! So, here are a few of my kids' personal favourites. First up, PIZZA!! Yes, you can enjoy delicious pizza without all the junk. I like to use this pizza crust https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-pizza-crust-grain-free-dairy-free/ and then top with whatever toppings we have on hand and LOTS of grass fed cheese!! I have used a boxed paleo pizza crust, but we all much prefer the homemade. 



On my kids' birthdays, they get to choose their own meal. My oldest son chose his favourite this year, pizza and nachos! We don't eat grains (unless they're sprouted occasionally) so we like these grain free taco chips. They're great for nachos, and we love them crushed on our taco salad!



In the summer ( and all year around as well) we love burgers on the grill!! It wasn't actually that hard to switch everyone from eating buns to going bun-less. Occasionally I'll make some paleo biscuits that we will use for a bun, but they're great without as well!! And we LOVE eating them with organic potato fries baked in the oven with avocado oil! We serve them with some yummy honey sweetened ketchup. This was my youngest child's birthday pick this year. Mmmm… now I want fries...



My absolute favourite (and my daughter's birthday pick this year) is tacos! We often eat taco salad, but we absolutely LOVE tacos with homemade cassava flour tortillas!!


One of our most favourite meals right now is paleo chicken strips and sweet potato fries! 








Another favourite is this good old comfort food- shepherd's pie! I like to sneak cauliflower into those fluffy potatoes.



And, we definitely are not lacking in the dessert department. I have a real sweet tooth, so I like to bake yummy treats! We use only raw, local honey or pure organic maple syrup to sweeten things. The kids are so awesome at not complaining (and, in fact, their treats are usually better tasting than what other kids are eating anyway!!)  We bring along our own treats and snacks when we're out and about, at church functions or birthday parties, and the kids never miss out.


I love nourishing my family with healthy foods, and I also love that we don't have to sacrifice yummy foods! So, rest assured, paleo kids don't do so bad. 




No comments:

Post a Comment