Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 January 2019

Who Am I

Lately I have been thinking about who I am; what is my identity. I am a mom, yes. But, what else? For the last couple of years I have been known as the woman with Lyme. I am not saying this is all people see, but that is what I feel I am best known for. Especially now being in a circle of people who didn't know me before my diagnosis. I am the woman with a chronic illness. But, these people didn't know me before. I have found I am seeing myself that way as well, forgetting who I used to be. And so, let me take you back to that girl...
I am the girl who lived on a mountain side in the woods for 6 years. I had to learn how to prime a pump when our well water stopped, learn how to build a fire, drive icy mountain roads into town without any cell service, and haul firewood into the house daily to keep our house warm. I am the girl who hauled 3 kids into town with me to do EVERYTHING on my own like Costco trips, kids' activities, and errands of every kind because my husband worked 12 hour shifts. He was rarely home for supper time and bedtime routines. I was on my own. I am the girl who put myself through an online nail course and passed with flying colors, later to go on to starting a mobile nail service that I was quite successful at! I am the girl who started my own organic skincare line, making skincare products in my kitchen. I am the girl who gave birth to 3 beautiful children, raising 2 of them super close together then adding in a third because we answered God's call. I am the girl who gave birth to number 3 in a bath tub at a friends home without any medical interventions. I am the girl who overcame not being able to breastfeed her first 2 children, and successfully (and joyfully) nursed her third for 3 years. I am the girl who is half way through her seventh year homeschooling, with no plan to stop. I am the girl who loves to write, and started this blog as a place to put down my thoughts and encourage others. I am the girl who has a heart for encouraging others in their health journey, and has a heart to encourage young married couples (both of which God is allowing me to do in very tangible ways).
I am the girl who was diagnosed with a life altering, chronic illness that changed everything for me. I am the girl who gets up each day to fight. I am the girl who speaks out about her illness every chance she gets, not for pity or recognition but to educate others in the hopes I will help someone else. I am the girl who was able to get off of sugar after being a sugar addict, and change my diet completely for the sake of my health.
 I am the girl who never gave up in the face of trials. And, though I may be taking a break from doing these things, it is still who I am. I am that girl. I am a fighter. I may have put some things on hold, and I may need more help now than I ever have, but I am still me. I am still that strong, capable, confident woman. I just need a break. I may never do the things I once did (and, to be honest, there are MANY parts of that life I am thankful I do not have to do anymore!!) But, I know God is calling me to other things and I am both thankful and excited for that. So, whenever I start to see myself as the "sick girl", I will remind myself of who I really am; a woman who never gives up, tries her best at everything she puts her hands to, and perseveres through any trial. I am not just a #lymewarrior. I am a #warrior. That's who I am.

3 comments: