Search This Blog

Sunday 23 February 2020

Happy Unvalentine's Day-Day!!

With Valentine's Day in the recent past, it's had me thinking about my marriage of nearly 15 years (this spring)… Yet, we do not even celebrate the so called "holiday". Why? Well, to be quite honest, we think it is pointless. Our kids love it (well, mostly just our daughter) so this year, as well as last, I wrote each child a love letter from Mom. They love getting notes that affirm my love for them.

As for my marriage, well, we haven't celebrated this holiday in years. In the beginning, as a newly wed, I tried to get my husband on board with the idea mainly because of tradition until I, myself, realized the pointlessness of it all. What is love? Well, it certainly isn't candy hearts, chocolate, and roses. I can't eat sugar anyway, and I can't keep a flower alive for more than a day! Trying to go out for dinner on Valentine's is near impossible unless you book well in advance (who has time for that!?) and, personally, I'd rather not go to a jam packed restaurant just because it's a certain day. We like to go on regular dates in a quiet restaurant where we can actually hear each other speak instead of going on the busiest day of the year.

But, last night I was thinking about my marriage and all that we have experienced in our 15 years, and I wanted to pay tribute to the one who has stuck beside me through some pretty hard times. So, I will call this my Unvalentine's Day-Day (perhaps I will start a new holiday).

So, here is to the one who...

Has seen me in the absolute worst of times;
Has seen me ugly cry, nose dripping and all;
Has watched me burp, fart, and vomit;
Has heard me yell, scream, and swear;
Has seen me head to toe with hives (like right now);
Has laid beside me in bed while I cried in pain for hours;
Has endured 2 miscarriages with me;
Has watched me give birth 3 times;
Has taken me to the hospital countless times, spending hours in waiting rooms, and never left my side;
Has walked with me through every single hardship;
Has picked me up when I fell down;
Has continued to tell me I am beautiful even when I don't believe it;
Has allowed me to make mistakes;
Has forgiven me every time;
Has pushed me when I wanted to give up;
Has helped me raise 3 children;
Has never given up on me, no matter what...

Marriage is hard. It is messy, it is scary, it is unpredictable. But, it is also beautiful, it is a gift, and it is worth every moment.





No comments:

Post a Comment